Ok so working out to most people is like a job, they don’t like it. For me its a way of life and its my “mini-escape” from the stresses of life. However, it took me a while to get to this perspective, and I did this by finding classes and fun activities that work for me. The trick is to find what you like and be consistent. But always remember to mix it up so you don’t get bored. If you think about it, you can apply this to your love life as well – TWISS!
WWHD – What would Hassana Do??!?
I know what your asking yourself, WWHD, at least I know that is what Patresa Day is thinking, wink wink…
Well I started out at Gold’s Gym and signed up for a year-long membership. I found classes I liked, even teachers I preferred and consistently followed my routine! This routine included a “Body Pump” class – a weight lifting class that helps tone the whole body (one that I don’t really enjoy but I know it works – I call this my torture class). This class targets every muscle group with light weights but combines resistance and many reps for a full body workout. Everyone needs a torture class because the results pay off; I recommend to take a torture class at least twice a week.
The other days of the week I have fun with my workouts! I take a spin class Friday mornings at 5:40 AM – shout out to Darryl! This cycle class is great, it pumps me up for the weekend with great music and helps with the glutes/legs/core muscles. On Wednesday nights I take a boot camp class (my toughest class!). And in between those classes I take a kickboxing class with Angie!
But after a year, I needed to mix it up and changed my routine. Since January I signed up with LA Boxing. They market it as a workout that can burn up to 1000 calories per class. The intensity is there and so far I’ve only taken Boxing & Kickboxing classes that involve a workout on a 150 lb punching bag. My next goal is to try one of their sparing classes in the ring, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai (these are classes that you combat other students 1/1)….baby steps….
So if you want to learn self defense or just be a bad ass, LA Boxing is for you. Its a combination of boxing and boot camp all in one and definitely lives up to its name of burning 1000 calories/class. They offer 1 free trial class to test it out (trial boxing gloves included). Prefer to wait for a deal? Keep an eye out for Groupon, Living Social or Facebook Deals. If you are from the DMV area, I know the owner/managers and can probably hook you up with a trial deal for a month to test it out…
For more information check out their website at http://laboxing.com/.
MIX IT UP SOME MORE!
On the weekends I like to mix it up even more! This past weekend I went to Sugarloaf Winery for a dog adoption charity event and afterwards went hiking with my mom, friend and my dog Lucas. It was a 30 minute drive from Rockville area and is a great spot to enjoy nature and wine. Try the green route to go to the mountain top and see a fantastic view! If you check out the vineyard – try the Sugarloaf Mountain Rosé wine – a fabulous drink for the summer! To visit the vineyard or purchase some great Maryland wine visit http://www.smvwinery.com/. To learn more about the hiking visit http://www.sugarloafmd.com/
Ok enough talk about working out, let’s talk about:
MY 5 Top OBSESSIONS this week…..
1. Love at first sight: BOOM! Ok so I was checking out headbands at Lululemon (Tyson’s Mall, VA) and found this cute Hot Pink headband! Keep in mind they don’t advertise this on their main website yet, so check out your local store for this and a variety of other cute options that just came in!! Now I know my guy fans are not interested in this, but keep in mind they have a men’s line in this store. For all you single guys out there – take this advise from me – its important to look good while you work out, you never know when its going to happen – BOOM! I can speak for most single girls out there when I say its a huge turn-on when a guy knows how to dress well – even while working out ….deodorant doesn’t hurt either, just saying…wink wink!
Girls -it goes without saying, same applies to you…
2. Remember before cell phones…not really…well now now we never leave home w/o it! I was reading a cyclist magazine and came across this cool new gadget – an iPhone holder that mounts on your bike. Pretty cool – so I did some research and found a blog that highly recommends the one below (this one is water-proof). If you bike alot and interested in purchasing one – I highly recommend you read this review that goes over several options - http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/iphone-bike-mount/
3. Don’t Sweat the small stuff… As you know, girls don’t sweat we glisten…But the reality is we are not working hard enough or just tricking you. This new product I just purchased does the trick. Since its a microfiber towel it absorbs the sweat quickly and dries almost immediately. This one below is the face towel size that sells for $20 at http://www.yogarat.com/, but you can find the same thing for $10 at Marshalls or $17 on Amazon. It comes in several colors and sizes and is machine-washable.
4. Drink like a Lady – Skinny Girl style….A work colleague introduced me to this drink called “Sparkling Ice” – I tried the Mango Flavor and now I’m obsessed. I checked the label and it has zero calories, fats, sugars, carbohydrates and salt – so its basically Vitamin Water with no harmful ingredients. The best part is it works like liquid crack because it gives you a boost of energy – my guess is that it comes from the Green Tea Extract (Also this extract doubles as a weight loss supplement..) So its a win, win – gain energy and lose weight at the same time! Shout out to Leon Lewis – thanks for this great suggestion! I found this drink at my local grocery store – Giant, but I hear you can purchase a pack at Costco as well!
5. What’s your theme song? I think mine changes everyday – right now its “Beach in Hawaii by Ziggy Marley”
Some other songs most played recently on my iPhone:
- Sabanas Frias – Mana
- Amen – Meek Mill feat. Drake
- Get it started – Pitbull feat. Shakira
- Promise – Romeo Santos (feat. Usher)
- Ya da One – Rhianna
- Kaskade’s Fire & Ice Album
- Big Jet Plane – Angus and Juila Stone
- 6 Underground – Sneaker Pimps
- Breathe – Telepopmusik
- Hello Good Morning – Diddy – Dirty Money & T.I.